Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Treasure

I made fried rice for the first time last night. It was a fun dinner to make and to eat and here is why...

Fried rice is a meal of left-overs. I planned ahead and made extra rice with dinner last night so I could use it tonight. I had planned ahead and had leftover chicken to add too. I knew you need vegetables so I added carrots from the fridge and peas from the freezer. Then I started to have fun.

You see, as I was stirring the rice/vegetable mixture I was reminded of my father who likes to use leftovers to make fried potatoes. I stood there stirring and thinking of the weird additions he would make to the potatoes in the pan- ham and peas, ground beef and corn, etc. At this point I decided to add the left over broccoli in my fridge. When the fridge was open I saw a left over corn on the cob. Perfect! I grabbed it and a knife and added the corn kernels to the pan.

As I stirred the rice once more I felt somehow closer to my dad.

I had the urge to add cheese to my fried rice, but did not because that would be gross. Had I been making my dad's fried potatoes though cheese would have been absolutely necessary. Several types of cheese if possible.

I decided that my dad's fried potatoes are simply his version of fried rice.


These epiphanies were nice, but the fun came when I sat down with my children to eat the fried rice. Ella was so excited. She said it was like digging for treasure. Then she made it into a game. The vegetables were the treasure and whoever found the most treasure won. Her favorite was the eggs and Eli and I preferred the corn.

Can you find any treasure?

No comments: