Thursday, May 06, 2010

Please let this be temporary

I am in mourning. I have lost something that I treasure. The sad part is that I know where it is...it is everywhere...I just am not allowed to have it.

Here is my story:

I was recently ill. Hot and cold flashes; upset stomach; loss of appetite; no energy; bleh.

Normally when sick I will sleep it off and Tada! I will recover. This time however, I was sick and pregnant at the same time so the whole "Starve a fever, feed a cold" wisdom did not apply...I had to eat to feed my unborn child. (As it is I still lost four pounds during this illness and that is not good for a pregnant woman to do.)

My sickness progressed from upper GI to lower GI. Then as I recovered, my health issues became a series of bloating and flatulence (It's okay if you laugh.)

Two days later I had an epiphany: I bloat after eating. When I eat I drink milk. I nearly exploded after eating ice cream. Oh no!!!! I am lactose intolerant.


Having talked to my doctor (my husband) my lactose intolerance has been confirmed. It is due to my eating dairy while suffering from GI problems. My irritated intestines rebelled against the lactose and now they continue to rebel even though my illness is gone.

I looked it up and this is fairly common. At Mayoclinic.com it says:

Result of illness or injury (secondary lactose intolerance)
This form of lactose intolerance occurs when your small intestine decreases lactase production after an illness, surgery or injury to your small intestine. It can occur as a result of intestinal diseases, such as celiac disease, gastroenteritis and an inflammatory bowel disease like Crohn's disease. Treatment of the underlying disorder may restore lactase levels and improve signs and symptoms, though it can take time

My hope is that this is a temporary disorder in my intestine. Chris says to give it a week. I don't know if I can last a whole week. Lactose is everywhere! I caught my self nibbling on cheese as I served cheese and crackers to my children with their lunches. I can't have sour cream. No ice cream. No milk.

Have you ever heard the saying "You don't know what you have until it's gone"?

I miss milk.


2 comments:

Erin said...

When Sarah was a newborn, she screamed ALL the time. A friend was over, and said maybe the problem was something I was eating, probably milk. She suggested I try a week without it. I told her absolutely not - I was not willing to give it up. She looked at me, and said, "but if it would fix HER...!" I agreed it would be nice, but decided against the trial, since I knew I wouldn't be able to handle the sacrifice, even to end the screaming. Thankfully, Sarah "turned nice" a couple days later. Anyhow, I feel your pain. I love milk products! Good luck! :)

Val said...

Tragedy! We just figured out my husband is lactose intolerant. He about died when I brought home some "lactose free" ice cream...but we tested it in a root beer float and compared it to a regular ice cream root beer float, and we couldn't figure out which was which! (Both ice creams were Breyers vanilla.) Best of luck in your future dairy intake!