Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Our new hobby

 We are excited to announce that we have commenced Letterboxing!

What is Letterboxing? It's a British hobby transplanted to the USA.  Letterboxes are hidden boxes with a stamp and pad of paper inside them.  There are clues and directions to find the letterboxes online at websites such as these: http://www.letterboxing.org/ http://www.atlasquest.com/

When you go letterboxing you bring your own stamp, stamp pad, pen, and journal.  Once a letterbox has been found you stamp your stamp in the box' journal and stamp the box' stamp in your journal. 

In short, it is a treasure hunt! 

Even in our small South Texas town there are tons of letterboxes to find. 

Today was our first treasure hunt.  I looked up the directions to a couple letterboxes in the neighborhood and we decided to go for a family bike ride to find them.

Here we are with our first ever letterbox find!


Eli signed his name next to his stamp.


Do you see the letterbox?  Look closely.
 

I'm glad Ella was with us.  She retrieved the boxes from their hiding places.
 

 

The letterboxes aren't very big.  Here's the second one we found.  That is my stamp next to it.
 

We had a ton of fun today and I'm excited to go out and find more letterboxes.  I wonder how many we can find before we move?

4 comments:

Madeline said...

I haven't heard of letter boxing, but it sounds fun!

Erin said...

Sounds a lot like geocaching? Will have to try it; sounds like a great summer project with the kids! Where are you moving? Also, been thinking about you: I found an amazing chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipe the other day. We ate them and thought of Chris. ;)

Andersen Family said...

Yes, it reminds me of geocaching. Have you done any of that down here? We could start our own cache before you leave!

Katie said...

I didn't know you guys are moving! Although way back when I did hear from ryan that chris was looking at options back here in Tucson - I just never heard anything after that. So where are going and when?